caricature / convention

Report from Denver Comic Con 2015

Well, Denver Comic Con 2015 may be over, but in many ways it’s just getting started by me, as I have 39 mailouts to still draw and mail out. For now, let me show you how the weekend was for me, but continue to visit this post as I will be adding finished zombie and pony caricature commissions periodically as I finish them.

_01Friday, we set up the bones of our booth at the Colorado Convention Center.

Then participated in the Mile High Comics Pre-Party, but didn’t take any photos for some reason. It was a great time, but didn’t stick around to see if Chuck would indeed dress up and do a drag performance. We got to see some long-time friends, take some mailout commissions, and meet some new friends. It was also the start of a sore throat, as we attempted to talk over the music for much of the night.

Saturday was the day that my 5-year-old son, Milo would be signing copies of his book, “Pony & Zombie and the Runaway Dog”. So, the plan was to drive two cars, park at the convention center, drop the books from the pre-party off at the booth, go get breakfast at Sam’s 3, then come back and set up. Coming down the freight elevator from the parking garage, I thought there was a chance that they wouldn’t let Milo into the convention hall, since there was information in the vendor packet that indicated that kids wouldn’t be allowed in the hall pre or post operating hours, but no problem!


Milo observes a found art exhibit outside of the dealer's hall. We called it "seated banana."

Milo observes a found art exhibit outside of the dealer’s hall. We called it “seated banana.”

Well, the best laid plans, blah, blah, blah… As we probably should have figured, we should’ve assumed the wait was going to be long at Sam’s. It was an hour before doors opened, and we still hadn’t been seated. We decided that Milo and I would come back to set up the booth, and Stacey and Erica would bring us our our carry-out breakfasts. Upon returning to the convention center, we found out that we weren’t going to be allowed to go in, and theoretically, our booth wouldn’t be ready for the open. Gah!

Milo does a sketch for Mindy Kreitzman’s book.

After a frantic set-up and wolfing parts of our breakfasts down unsatisfactorily, Day 1 started. Milo made the first and the most sales, selling out of his 20 limited-edition con-exclusive books in a matter of about 2 1/2 hours, spending just as much time away from the booth buying stuff.

Despite our morning’s challenges, we knocked the proverbial ball out of the park with our Saturday sales. Here are some pictures of our happy customers from that day:

Sunday brought us fewer and smaller sales… but also a pleasant surprise!

Afterwards, we went to Rock Comic Con at Lime at the Pavillions for dinner and to participate in the Draw Off. Unfortunately, we didn’t get any pictures again, and the food was underwhelming (not what we expect from Lime), but we had a bit of fun before we had to bail on the draw-off in favor of not losing more of our voices to talking over the music.

Monday, Memorial Day was certainly going to be a pivotal day for all of the vendors, as we had no idea if the holiday would negatively affect attendance. Hopefully, the rain we’ve been getting all month, causing the roof to leak just outside of our booth would keep people wanting to do inside things. Here are some photos from that day:

So, stay tuned. I will post more below in batches. If you’d like to commission something from me or find out more about booking me for an event, please visit my caricatures page.

Stan Yan

Mailout commissions completed:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.